Lakers Eyeing Giannis Antetokounmpo As Primary Offseason Target If Bucks Pursue Trade

0 Comments

The Los Angeles Lakers view Giannis Antetokounmpo as their primary offseason target should the Milwaukee Bucks pursue a trade of their franchise cornerstone, team sources told ESPN. A Western Conference executive described the two-time MVP as the “big prize” the Lakers are positioning themselves to pursue.

Los Angeles held back from engaging in extensive trade discussions before the February deadline in part to preserve a more attractive package for a potential summer run at Antetokounmpo. That offer would center on three available first-round picks in 2026, 2031, and 2033, which league sources indicate could appeal to Milwaukee if the franchise opts for a full rebuild rather than a transitional approach.

A trade is far from certain. The Bucks retain the ability to use the offseason to strengthen their roster and convince Antetokounmpo to sign an extension, for which he becomes eligible on October 1. Antetokounmpo has previously been most strongly connected to the New York Knicks and Miami Heat.

The Lakers’ projected $51 million in cap space provides an alternative acquisition path.

Antetokounmpo has publicly stated his desire to compete for another championship. One Eastern Conference executive suggested the Lakers’ boldest course of action would be straightforward.

“[They could] just say, ‘F— it,'” the executive said, “and go all-in on Giannis.”

Luka Doncic, sources told ESPN, has not pressured the organization to add a superstar alongside him and has supported the franchise’s disciplined, long-term approach heading into what figures to be a pivotal summer for the organization.

Categories:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *