You are here
Home > Football > Premier League > Transfer Talk: Sancho in Man United’s sights as Solskjaer plans speedy front three

Transfer Talk: Sancho in Man United’s sights as Solskjaer plans speedy front three

Raphael Honigstein assesses the possibility that Jadon Sancho will leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.

The transfer window for Europe’s biggest clubs is closed, but click here for all the deals. Transfer Talk will continue to scour the world’s media and set correspondents loose to see what’s on the agenda for the summer.

Jad move on for United

How much longer Jadon Sancho remains at Borussia Dortmund is a source of endless pages of soon-to-be chip paper. So it’s refreshing to see the online-only Independent getting involved.

The outlet claims that United are certain to make Sancho their No. 1 target this summer as new boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks to build what promises to be the fastest forward line in world football.

The Norwegian tactician wants the former City man to line up alongside Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial, which of course leaves no room for Alexis Sanchez. Not that his absence would be mourned by the Old Trafford faithful, who have long since grown tired of the Chile international.

United are likely to face opposition for Sancho’s signature — which could cost upwards of £100 million — with both Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid keen on luring him away from the Bundesliga.

Regardless, the England starlet’s proposed departure would represent a very healthy profit on the £8 million Dortmund shelled out for him in 2017. With three years left on his contract, it’s the German side who hold all the aces.

Sancho himself is understood to be in no hurry to leave the club, hardly surprising given the 19-year-old’s blinding form since he moved there.

Jadon Sancho
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has plans to make Man United’s attack the fastest in world football, with Jadon Sancho the centrepiece.

Madrid in pole position in chase for Felix

Manchester United might be keen on bringing Sancho to Old Trafford, but the Sun reports that the Champions League quarterfinalists could be set to lose in the race to bring Portuguese wonderkid Joao Felix to the northwest.

The paper has been told that Madrid have been in touch with Benfica over the possibility of a summer move for a teenager who has been simply sensational in the Portuguese top flight so far this season.

Juventus are also believed to be keen on bringing him to Serie A, which could leave United and Manchester City languishing in their own attempts to lure Felix to the Premier League. City’s director of football, Txiki Begiristain, went to watch him in the Europa League clash against Dinamo Zagreb last month, but neither Manchester club is understood to have made firm moves for the midfielder to date.

All of which leaves Juventus and Madrid in position A as the season draws to a close.

Hugo a-go-go?

The Sun reports that Spurs are keen on bringing Lazio keeper Thomas Strakosha to the club as a long-term replacement for Hugo Lloris, who had another shocker in Tottenham’s 2-1 loss at Liverpool on Sunday.

Italian sources claim that Spurs scouts have been regular visitors to Rome to watch Strakosha play several times this season.

The outlet adds that the Albania international could be arriving in North London as soon as this summer, probably at a cost of around £35 million.

Tap-ins

Sky Sports reports that Ander Herrera and Juan Mata will be on their bikes and heading out of Old Trafford as soon as the final whistle blows on the season in May. Herrera is reportedly on his way to PSG, which has been on the cards for a while. Mata is reportedly moving home to Spain, with a deal with Barcelona mooted.

— The Courier Mail says New Zealand international Dane Ingham wants to leave Brisbane Roar for soon-to-be A-League premiers Perth Glory.

— With Zinedine Zidane keen to inject some youth into Los Blancos, the Spanish giants are targeting Esteban Aparicio from Rayo Vallecano and Rayo Majadahonda midfielder Fernando Delgado, according to Marca.

— Zidane is in no mood to let Raphael Varane leave the Bernabeu, despite the French defender’s noises to the contrary. The Sun reports comments from Zidane in the run-up to his club’s La Liga clash with Valencia.

“I cannot imagine a future without Varane, and I don’t want to,” he said. “He’s a young player, he has been here for eight years, and he is doing very well. I’m not going to comment on what is being said outside.”

So there you go. Expect those rumours to stop forthwith.

Similar Articles
Top