The WBA has passed a resolution suspending heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller for six months for failing multiple drug tests prior to his June 1 bout with unified champion Anthony Joshua, which has since been postponed.
Miller (23-0-1, 20 KOs), of Brooklyn, New York, tested positive for the substances GW1516, EPO and HGH in separate Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA) administered tests.
According to the WBA, Miller will be withdrawn from its rankings. He will also have to register with VADA at his own expense and undergo random testing. After his six-month suspension ends on Sept. 19, if he intends to return to the WBA rankings, he must submit those test results.
“I think it’s fair,” said Greg Cohen, Miller’s co-promoter, pointing out that the length of this suspension is in line with past offenders, most recently Canelo Alvarez and Billy Joe Saunders, who have failed drug tests before middleweight title fights in the last year.
“It’s appropriate, and we just look forward to moving on to bigger and better things in the future,” added Cohen, who believes Miller will comply with the WBA’s ruling. “I don’t think he has a choice. Certainly by way of this resolution, he’s required to, and I’m sure Jarrell will be compliant with the resolution.”
Miller is not currently licensed in any state. But Cohen made it clear that Miller will not be looking to fight in any jurisdiction during this WBA ruling.
“With this suspension, he can’t even apply [for a license] ’til after the Sept. 19 deadline. So we’ll come across that bridge when we come to it,” Cohen said.
Joshua is still slated to fight in early June at Madison Square Garden, with a new opponent who could be announced this week.